Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Tis the season for Christ

Reminiscing on last year I remember being so focused on our wedding that Christmas was pretty much overlooked. Wedding day was a thousand times bigger then Christmas day. It was such a relief when the semester ended and the Big Day went beautifully. We spent Christmas soaking up rays of sunshine on the beach in Mexico. For that reason it feels like it's been two years since Christmas. I'm in love with Christmas music! Yum hot chocolate! I helped Phil hang a string of lights on our little house even before Thanksgiving. It probably helps that I'm not in school so I have a lot more time to think about it.

Also, I work at Pier 1. They've had Christmas stuff up since before Halloween, which makes it a long time in coming. They have hundreds of ornaments, decorations, wreaths, and holiday candles. One thing that seems to be missing though is Christ. Like... where are the Nativity sets? They have Santa, Reindeer, and Snowmen galore, but nothing about Christ. I guess that works if you want to have a "Happy Holiday," but it doesn't fly with me. I'm an old fashioned believer in a "Merry Christmas."


What a beautiful sight. Lately I've been thinking about what kinds of traditions I want to start in my family for Christmas. Do you have any favorites? What do you do to help remember the true meaning of Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more! We have been feeling this way too so we decided to forgo the traditional ornaments on our tree and hang little 3x5 cards of pictures of Christ, as well as more pictures of Christ around our house. I definitely feel the true spirit of Christmas more! Miss you guys and hope you're doing well! Let us know if you're ever in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to hear from you, Becky! I bet Colorado is a fun place to live- we will let you know if we are ever there. I love your idea of hanging pictures of Christ on the tree. It's great to know that there are people keeping Him as the focus. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete